There are times in life where I found myself feeling like I didn’t belong. As a teenager, I can often remember saying to myself that I didn’t want to be labeled. No matter how hard I tried not to be classified, it seemed as though others would. I would purposely not pin myself to groups and hung out with who I wanted. But, the reality of life is that we all were made to belong. The universe around us has shown that groups and communities shapes us and help us to discover who we are. We build confidence and establish credibility with those we associate with. We were born to define, to be connected to, and to love the world around us. Here are five ways to get involve and belong:
- Change your thinking. What you think about yourself matters greatly. If you are hard on yourself and constantly put yourself down, chances are you are also attracting those who criticize and put you down as well. Change how you talk to yourself and others, and change who you associate yourself with.
- Define who you are. The saying”If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything,” is so true. If you don’t define who you are, society will decide for you. Knowing what you want in life and being determined to be on the rode to self discovery gives you a roadmap to gauge in who you want to associate with.
- Place yourself with those who are great. Once you know what you want and your at peace with your spirit, associate yourself with those who are alike. Being in a positive place with yourself is good but isn’t enough to keep you there. You must set yourself up for success by placing yourself with great successful people.
- Get outside of your comfort zone. One of the most self destructive things you can do is isolate from others and remain in your comfort zone. A lot of times we are creatures of habit and we get used to routine or the way we use to do things. Get out of what what you know, and get into what you don’t know’t order to grow. You have to push yourself and retrain your thinking. Although it could be frightening do it anyway. Challenge yourself by looking at others and finding something you can relate too that you admire in that person.
- Connect quickly. We often talk ourselves out of great relationships, great people and businesses partnerships all because we are afraid we may make a fool out of ourselves. Find those who you want to model after and relationships that are going to lift you up and encourage you to keep going. Whether in relationships or business, networking/connecting is the key to success! Get connected and involve even if you are afraid!